Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lexington, South Carolina

It's 8:35 and I'm sitting on a cold concrete floor at a barbeque joint waiting for Governor Huckabee to arrive. It's amazing to note the differences between the Huckabee staffers and Edwards staffers. The Edwards crew is much more busieness like and is very serious about the event they are attending.

This event was planned by Huckabees son. I talked with him a bit and told him I lived in Arkansas for three years which got me a few minutes more as he immediately started talking about barbeque and the Arkansas Razorbacks. Everyone is so relaxed and will talk to you about anything and stop and give you plenty of time. Don't get me wrong Edwards staffers are great but these Huckabee folks were down home folks. I think the term is folksy?

Anywho, this restaurant screams Huckabee and Arkansas and Chuck Norris. It has an extreme outdoorsmen type of feel with a fire in a stone fireplace. The pictures on the walls are portraits of various hunting dogs!

We are packed like sardines in here but the crowd doesnt seem to care.

I also interviewed someone else who actually went to Governor Huckabee's church when he was a preacher. Pretty cool the people you meet on the trail.

I'm very curious to see how his speech is tonight and he's only minutes away so I better go for now! By the way we're headed to Spartanburg tomorrow to see Sen. McCain and then Huckabee again on Thursday where he'll be on stage with not only Chuck Norris but Ric Flair.

Whooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

UPDATE
Gov. Huckabee has arrived and I'll tell you what, I don't mean to harp on Edwards vs. Huckabee but it's a good reference point because I was at an Edwards event yesterday. There is a clear difference in the enthusiasm of both the candidate and his rowdy supporters when it comes to Huckabee. Huckabee in 2008 actually reminds me of the energy and grassroots of Edwards in 2004. Something to think about...

No comments: